Friday 7 December 2012

Grammar overload-update

I have just finished my second week at the college doing the English workshops.  It started with students hoping to move to the US next year but this week I had first year students so the prospect of going abroad is further away for them. I found that made it harder to focus the lessons as it wasn't necessarily to prepare them for anything in particular but to improve their English in general. I find most people speak good English here anyway.  I focused on grammar this week in order that they would be more aware of it in their speaking.

It's amazing how many different 'rules' there are in English grammar.  I would think I'd just about got my head round something then I'd come across something that the rule didn't apply to!! In some cases I don't even know why! I'll have to find out for next week as I will have a group of educational students, so I take it they're training to be teachers.

I've become a lot more aware of how I speak this week too, to set a good example! There was a brownout at the college-for a change ;-)- and I said to the girls "we better find a other room" and quickly corrected myself to change the "a" to "an" as I'd been going over that yesterday! I have managed to tie myself in knots a few times trying to explain things. There's nothing like being a teacher for being found out! :)

Just been in my mum's keeping everyone up with grammar talk! Glad to say I am now clearer on one of my grammar problems.......due to a Filippina explaining it to me! Oh dear :-o Well, she did leave school more recently than me! :-D

1 comment:

  1. mmmm all sounds a bit complicated! You don't realise how hard it must be for them to learn our language! Suppose it's like you trying to learn their language, imagine that would be tricky ;/

    ReplyDelete