Friday 11 January 2013

Brrrrrrrrr

I am writing this with a sarong tied around my neck as I'm a bit chilly lol! I had heard it could get cold here in December & January but I thought they meant 'Middle East cold' but they meant 'Scotland cold'! :-D Well, maybe not 'Scotland cold'...perhaps Scotland Autumn temperatures.  According to my Yahoo weather app, it was only 7 celcius this morning and reaching only about 15 later today.  I think the temperature is gradually going up as the week progresses and hopefully this week is a one off. Last week was in the mid twenties - perfect. I think we just came on the wrong day.

Anyway, I realised when I arrived that I have COMPLETELY the wrong clothes here. I was worried that my tops' sleeves were too short for a start (in a Muslim country) and I knew I'd freeze in everything I had. I only have one cardigan with me with 3/4 length sleeves! We asked the receptionist to call us a taxi to the biggest mall around and big it was! It's called The Avenues and it has all the huge dept. stores John Lewis, Debenhams, even IKEA! It was a lovely mall, I could easily spend all day in it. Thankfully the sales are on just now so I was able to buy some cheap long sleeved tops and a pair or trousers to keep me going. My aim today is to get a pair of tights! I wish I had my Ugg boots here. The other good thing about going to the mall - after lots of people watching - is that I'm reassured that although there are a lot of people with the Muslim attire on, all the Westerners I saw, and some Kuwaitis were just wearing what I'd wear anyway-phew I don't think it's as strict here. So not all my clothes will be useless, I'll just have to be more creative until the weather warms up.

The funny thing is that the sun is out and I would consider it beautiful weather at home. I think having got used to 30+ temperatures it's just a bit of a shock to the system. That and the fact I'm not wearing all my layers like I would at home. Unfortunately the heating doesn't seem to be working in the temporary 'apartment' we have either so that doesn't help.  Roll on February :-D

2 comments:

  1. lol can't believe you are in the middle east and you are cold! ;)
    good there are plent shops to get the right attire from though!
    you will feel more at home with IKEA, etc did you have meatballs?! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I couldn't believe how cold it was with the sun out and all the palm trees around! We've not had IKEA meatballs yet but they are definitely on the agenda :)

    ReplyDelete