Sunday 6 January 2013

Last Saturday in GenSan

Only two full days until we go to Manila! Today we did some jobs around town and it feels we've come full circle in four months, back to taking tricycles and interacting with the locals who drive them! I will really miss the lifestyle here, I'm just beginning to feel at home! The pace of life is so relaxed and friendly.

We often bump into people we know in town and although a bit daunted by Gensan at first, due to the island's history, I feel safer than ever here now. Today a little girl shouted 'hello teacher' in the mall and ran over to me to 'bless'. Children here take your hand and press the back of it to their forehead, its so sweet! I wondered what was going on the first time it ever happened! lol

Despite having had an amazing time here, we both feel the season has come to a natural end, with regards mainly to my job and our accommodation. I will always think very fondly of my time here.

I had started thinking of what I had to wear for teaching in Kuwait and panicked that I didn't have anything! Rather than frantically run round the shops when we arrive there next week I bought some shoes and trousers today. I just need to find a few tops. I dressed smartly(ish) and conservatively here for school but think I'll have to be even more conservative in Kuwait as there are Kuwaiti teachers who'll be wearing the full Islamic dress!











3 comments:

  1. I'm going to wear a sheik outfit now and again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you look like you were enjoying that shopping trip Laur! ;)

    ReplyDelete