Thursday 11 October 2012

Ready for anything!!

I don't think I've ever before been challenged so much in having to be prepared for ALL eventualities!  Today just as I settled down with my first nursery class to take a lesson, the school had a brownout!  ......basically a power cut.  So all electric, lights and air conditioning went off.  The children didn't bat an eye lid at having their lesson in the dark so I quickly had to adapt what I was doing and get into the swing of it! Thankfully today of all days I'd taken my laptop in to show some things and could work off the battery.  Usually I'd be using the school's sound system which would have gone off!  I taught three of my four lessons in the dark with no air conditioning - sweltering!  In the second half of the last lesson the lights and AC came back on so it must have been off for at least two hours :-o

The school are quite relaxed about these things as they are used to it so I'm going to have to get better at thinking on my feet and having lots of ideas up my sleeve for when technology and electricity fails!  It's been a whirlwind so far having so many different classes and stages but I'm still enjoying the experience.  I showed a PowerPoint presentation on Scotland yesterday and everyone was very impressed with the pictures of our beautiful country :-)  I have been asked to wear Scottish national dress, a week on Wednesday, for International Week, so I'm going to have to go tartan hunting!!


1 comment:

  1. Great experience...at least you can say you have taught ALL ages! Maybe you could teach the children some Highland Dancing to finish off your Scottish theme! ;)

    ReplyDelete